Thursday, April 17, 2008

Thursday 17th April 2008

Hello from France again,

We returned from Disneyland Paris last night, too late to be able to do this week's update, so a late update it is.

The little one was thrilled to be there again and whizzed around the place like she was on skates. My secretary and I did all we could to keep up with her. I didn't take any 3d's this time. I thought I ought to give the time to my family this time.

Since the last blog we visited St Omer (where I lit a candle for my friend Charlie Barnet whose funeral took place last Thursday), Gent and La Coupole. My pronounciation of the latter nearly causing an international incident once we'd returned to base. In the best French I could muster I stated that we had visited St Omer and La Coupole, only I pronounced it La Ka-Poole. Cue much hilarity in my direction. Not really knowing what they were laughing at I tried again only to meet the same response. It was then that an elder stateswoman of the group took pity on me and helped me with the correct pronounciation, La Ku-Pole. Apparently, until I said it right, I was saying the word for Fringe which is used in the French speaking part of Belgium. Still, not one to dwell on the negative, I now am able to make myself much clearer to French speaking Belgian hairdressers.

This week's update is of Uphill. This village is close to Weston-Super-Mare. So close in fact that it is quite difficult to see the join. A pleasant place though.

Thanks to Dane for getting in touch last week after spotting an error. I'll sort it once I get back home. It's always good to receive feedback of any kind, so don't be shy.

Right, that's it for now. More next week.

Have a good weekend.

No comments: